- Company: Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences
- Posted: 06/16/2022
- Location: Buffalo, NY
- Category: Events Manger
- Job Type: Direct Placement
- Experience Level:
The Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences seeks an organized and enthusiastic individual to serve as Events Manager for Buffalo Museum of Science and Tifft Nature Preserve. This is a full-time position (37.5 hours/week), reporting to the Director of Marketing & Public Relations.
- The Events Manger will work with internal departments and external vendors to ensure all event and program planning needs have been secured and are fulfilled. The successful candidate will serve as lead or co-lead for all events and large-scale programs (BubbleFEST, DinoFEST, Science After Hours, etc.), fundraisers, membership events, community events, press events, special engagements, and more, and will:
- Manage all logistics of each event
- Develop activity plans
- Ensure appropriate staffing/volunteer recruitment
- Engage community partners and vendors
- Create floor plans
- Serve as day-of-event management.
In addition, the Events Manager will:
- Coordinate all aspects of private rentals and usage of the Museum and Tifft facilities, including managing the operational calendar, walk-through meetings, contract preparation, vendor suggestions, client interaction, and invoicing; serve as point person for day-of-event coordination.
- Ensure Society rules and regulations are upheld during events and that safety protocols are planned for in advance and properly executed during the event.
- Adhere to all insurance and local/state permitting processes and requirements.
- Respond to and follow up on all leads and contacts established via phone or internet.
- Adhere to a high level of standards and expectations regarding the Buffalo Museum of Science and Tifft Nature Preserve’s appearance and overall general impression as received by patrons.
- Implement continuous improvement strategies based on guest feedback
- Accept and follow appropriate accounting procedures to record payments; prepare facility rental reports and provide accounting detail as requested and required through Altru database system.
- Lead regular Calendar Committee Meetings, coordinating operational calendars to ensure clarity on upcoming events and facility availability and usage.
- Occasionally serve as a backup to the Museum phone and admissions team to provide customer service when scheduling and staffing requires.
Required skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in event management, logistics, or related field.
- Excellent independent judgment and decision-making skills; self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to work independently.
- Positive team player who will engage productively with others at varying levels within and outside the organization.
- Enthusiastic personality who is committed to personal and organizational success, with a willingness to take initiative.
- Superior customer service and communication skills, and ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at one time, and see them through to fruition.
- A high level of integrity and sense of professionalism.
- Experience creating, managing, and understanding budgets.
- Competency with Microsoft Office.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel within WNY as needed.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings to manage events.
Wage range for this position will be hourly and dependent upon experience, with excellent benefits including paid time off, health insurance, 401K with company match, paid holidays and more.
The Buffalo Museum of Science is a non-profit educational institution dedicated to providing relevant science programming to learners of all ages. The Buffalo Museum of Science is governed by the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences alongside Tifft Nature Preserve in South Buffalo. Visit us at www.sciencebuff.org.
At the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences, we believe that diversity of experience and viewpoints is paramount and we strive to reflect the great diversity of those living in western New York. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds and life experience. The Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, sex, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.