Manager of SelectionApply
- Company: 43North
- Posted: 12/08/2022
- Location: Buffalo,NY
- Category: Professional
- Job Type: Full Time
Working for 43North is an experience like no other. Each year, we invest $5 million in companies that relocate to Buffalo through our startup competition. We are on a mission to boost Buffalo’s startup ecosphere by helping our founders and their teams thrive. We push boundaries, thrive on creativity, and are driven to succeed. If you like a fast-paced atmosphere where you will be pushed to grow, learn, and develop your skill set, 43North might be the place for you!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The 43North Manager of Selection is a new role that will streamline our startup competition selection process, ensuring diligence and ultimately, top quality in selection. This position is a key component to the larger 43North mission in that it will drive the process by which we select the companies that investment in. You’ll manage the process from start to finish, handling application development and mechanics, immersing yourself in the applicant pool, managing and driving judging throughout each round, and working with the 43North Investment Committee to identify our top prospects. The right candidate has the ability to see the big picture while analyzing granular details relative to each applicant, and will use those insights to make informed judgements and recommendations on applicant selection.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversight, management and execution of the 43North startup competition selection process from applicant intake including creation of application and applicant portal, through judging and announcement of investments
- Working closely with 43North Investment Committee to select competition finalists and coordinating the 43North Finals judging process
- Ability to identify successful/scalable companies that are right for Buffalo
- Managing and building strong judge network both locally and nationally
- Developing and owning effective communication with applicants and judges throughout selection process
- Conducting necessary due diligence, financial modeling, risk analysis and development of information for presentation to investment committee
- Leveraging connections made through attending startup conferences and demo days to strengthen application pipeline and judge selection
- Working collaboratively with Manager of Investor Relations and Partnerships to manage referrals to the program
- Proactively building and maintaining relations with 43North alumni and current cohort using expertise to help our companies grow
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Keen understanding of what makes a successful start up
- Experienced in screening for seed-stage startups, performing due-diligence, and supporting deal execution
- An interest in sifting through and identifying trends within large volumes of data
- Have a deep understanding of relevant investment sectors
- Experience performing due diligence on select investment opportunities
- Eagerness to live and work locally in Buffalo, NY.
- Data-driven mindset and familiarity with data collection tools and methodologies
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced work environment
- Process driven, detail oriented and inquisitive
- Bachelor’s degree in business, entrepreneurship, finance, or accounting preferred but not required
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A chance to contribute to building Buffalo’s entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Casual work environment in Buffalo’s tech hub at Seneca One
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision
- 401(k) with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid parking
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email Carly@43north.org and include a copy of your resume and a couple sentences on why you want to be a part of the 43North mission.
43North is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. Applicants for employment and employees are reviewed on their individual qualifications for a position. Under no circumstances will 43North discriminate against qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religious creed, retaliation, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, disability, mental illness, genetics, choice of health insurance, marital status, age, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.