Vice President of PortfolioApply
- Company: 43North
- Posted: 12/08/2022
- Location: Buffalo, NY
- Category: Senior Leadership
- Job Type: Full Time
Working for 43North is an experience like no other. Each year, we invest $5 million in startup companies that relocate to Buffalo through our startup competition. We are on a mission to boost Buffalo’s startup ecosphere by helping our founders and their teams thrive. We push boundaries, thrive on creativity, and are driven to succeed. If you like a fast-paced atmosphere where you will be pushed to grow, learn and develop your skill set, 43North might be the place for you!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Working in a leadership capacity, you’ll play a hands-on role in developing and delivering a best-in-class experience for 43North portfolio companies, their founders and teams. Seeing their success as 43North’s, you’ll share your startup business acumen and lend your expertise to offer mentorship and guidance at every turn.
You’ll serve as a go-to resource, advising our portfolio companies as they work through challenges, make critical decisions, secure investment, and build strategic plans. Fostering community, you’ll create opportunities to educate founders and their teams, host forums for dialogues around growth and improvement and make time to celebrate company wins and milestones. As your internal team works to source and recruit the next cohort, you’ll inform the selection process, delivering on application goals and weighing in on judging to ensure diligence, efficiency and accuracy in selection.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve on the 43North leadership team, overseeing portfolio management, retention, investor relations, and overall competition selection process.
- Utilizing your own VC and founder network to leverage additional resources to support 43N founders
- Committing to finding answers to key inquiries posed by founders and their teams
- Working collaboratively with the selection team, directing the diligence process prior to competition selection and providing support throughout the selection process.
- Guiding founders through the end-to-end process of fundraising
- Mapping out and implementing 43North mentorship programming to engage portfolio with meaningful and valuable resources
- Managing and advising the portfolio and selection team, sharing best practices while also keeping the wider 43North team informed of industry news and trends
- Building and maintaining rapport with founders and fellow 43N co-workers
- Immersing yourself in each portfolio company’s industry to best understand the foundation and nuances associated with each company
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Direct start-up, investor, or accelerator experience required
- Entrepreneurial empathy to support founders
- Experience with startup investing and venture capital fundraising process
- General understanding of cap tables and legal terminology related to venture capital
- Executive presence with the ability to command a room, conduct public speaking and serve as a trusted advisor
- Ability to build relationships and make connections that our founders and their teams can leverage on a local and national level
- Eagerness to live and work locally in Buffalo, NY, with a passion for the city itself and progress being made
- An understanding that startups deal with multi-faceted issues and have unique, highly specific needs that need urgent attention
- Data-driven mindset and familiarity with data collection tools and methodologies
- Experience using platforms and reporting tools such as Standard Metrics, Notion or similar
- A passion for helping early-stage companies and a commitment to helping them reach their vision in Buffalo
- A proactive and forward-thinking approach in order to anticipate issues/needs
- Natural communication and organizational skills
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced work environment and multi-task with high attention to detail
- Previous people management experience
- Occasional national travel for portfolio and recruitment events
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A chance to directly build and accelerate Buffalo’s entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Casual work environment in Buffalo’s tech hub at Seneca One
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision
- 401(k) with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid parking
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email Carly@43north.org and include a copy of your resume and a couple sentences on why you want to be a part of the 43North mission.