- Company: Big Wheelbarrow
- Posted: 01/19/2022
- Location: Buffalo, NY
- Category: Product Management
- Job Type: Direct Placement
Here’s the role: Product management with room to grow and impact the organization. Here’s the catch: How much do you care about local food and farms? Do you contribute to sustainability and food security in your community? If you do, and those qualities are important to you, let’s talk Big Wheelbarrow.
As a product manager at Big Wheelbarrow, you’ll focus on our grocery retail customers and other key stakeholders (farms, wholesalers, grower shippers, brokers, etc) to extend and improve our local food supply chain platform and surrounding partner ecosystem. It’s a big job and it’s not for everyone. But if you’re still reading at this point, and interested, here’s what we’re looking for:
You will make an impact by:
- Forging strategic and consultative partnerships with users and our team to understand goals and needs for product enhancements
- Prioritizing and maintaining backlog based on business priorities, customer need, product roadmap, and development resource bandwidth
- Translating product roadmap features into well-defined requirements/user stories and acceptance criteria
- Creating wireframes, product pitches, and other illustrations to convey feature ideas, gather feedback, and guide development
- Breaking features into small, concise and achievable steps to speed up development
- Coordinating with development team to set and track development/release timelines, navigating intricate dependencies, shipping features regularly, and communicating impacts to stakeholders
- Engaging in market, competitor, and user research and briefing the team on trends and findings
- Maintaining and improving existing systems to track objectives and key results of product development
- Making strategic and data-driven decisions about trade-offs, balancing scope with quality, and communicating changes, decisions, and progress to stakeholders at the right intervals
You could be a fit if:
- You are able to identify key questions, make product decisions, and assess how pieces of the puzzle interact and affect the overall project
- You are organized, taking individual initiative and accountability for getting results
- Your background includes product experience in search, data normalization, reporting, personalization, supply chain, finance or omnichannel journeys
- You demonstrate sincere empathy for the customer and a commitment to delving deep into the challenges they present or experience
- You gracefully adapt to shifting priorities, multiple demands, ambiguity, and rapid change
- You have excellent communication skills with ability to engage, influence, and inspire partners to drive collaboration and alignment
- You actively seek workplace environments with opportunities to grow, learn new things, wear multiple hats, and take on new challenges
What’s the team like?
We are a company of four founders supported by a small team. The product manager will be a full time employee in Buffalo, New York and integral to the company’s success.
This position will report to the Chief of Operations, but operate independently. Our vision for the future is for this to be the first position in a new functional group for our company.
In this role you will interact with the full Big Wheelbarrow team and work closely with our development organization and Chief Technology Officer while interfacing with our customers.
We believe in open discussions, user centered design and agile-like development. A successful product manager at Big Wheelbarrow will bridge the customer/operations and development sides of the house making us more consistent, efficient, effective, and responsive to our customers.
Why Big Wheelbarrow?
Our mission is to create sustainable cities by helping grocers work with local farms and food producers. It’s the basis for creating local, sustainable food systems.
Our mission requires a smart, dedicated team. As such, you’ll have:
- Unlimited paid PTO
- Start-up New York tax-free status, which allows you to pay no New York income tax
- Options in our growing company
- Time to develop, learn, and participate in entrepreneurial and professional communities like 43 North, Techstars, and others
- Workspace in Buffalo’s Seneca One Tower
- Unparalleled access to our teams’ excellent culinary and mixology skills
We value diversity at Big Wheelbarrow. We will never discriminate based on someone’s race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.